New Work: Sterling Export Website
Last week saw the launch of the new website for Sterling Export. It’s fully compliant, valid, accessible and designed by your truly.
Last week marked the launch of a new website I’ve been working on, sterlingexport.com, home of Sterling Export. The client was a referral, and this is their first website for their new business.
The pages are valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional, my favorite DocType since it lets one tiny attribute slide:
<br clear="all" />, which clears the floating divs and allows the whole thing to be neatly wrapped in a shell div. It’s probably not the cleanest way to accomplish the whole fixed-width centered thing, but it works perfectly in every browser I’ve tested and the one rogue tag doesn’t adversely affect the semantics of the content.
Every effort was made to control the presentation completely through CSS and let the content dictate correct markup through semantic headers, paragraphs and lists. I used my favorite image replacement technique to retain the <h1>’s value, as well as film-strip rollovers for the main navigation so I could use an unordered list.
I gave them several layout ideas to start, but we always came around to this one, the first idea, both for its use of warm, earthy tones as well as the large-format photography that showcased the product and the operation. I kept the typography classic and readable—standard Verdana and Georgia for the HTML and various forms of Garamond for the headers.
In all, it was a straightforward assignment, and I’m happy with the results. While I don’t usually feature my actual freelance work on this site, it’s such a nice break from the usual, über-corporate fare that I felt like trumpeting a small victory for web standards.